Hackerwriters

An Online Journal

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Oscar Nominations

I feel fortunate to have seen four of the five films (although I only saw Crash on DVD and cable) because none of them has, as of yet, grossed more than 75 million. The academy went beyond expectations and remembered that there are movies that came out before November when it nominated Crash. And the films nominated for the major categories were definitely serious films that tackle big issues. I was a little surprised that Capote was nominated over Syriana; perhaps I'll understand the reasoning more if I get a chance to see the former. It would be nice if a few more people saw the nominated films. I think one step the studios ought to take is to spend more money advertising these films that they are supposedly proud of instead of movies like the Dukes of Hazzard or the Fantastic Four.

Decent article about the nominated films and people from Roger Ebert here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home