Hackerwriters

An Online Journal

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Emics and Etics

I've been working on the last two sections (I hope) of the current chapter. Myrdene Anderson has helped me out here a lot with giving me ideas for how to express what emic and etic are. Essentially, emic is the view one within a culture has whereas etic is the view of one outside the culture. The goal of any ethnographic enterprise, at least in the classical sense of ethnography, is to get at the emic in order to understand what the participants think and feel about the subject of the study. In my case, I intend to show a group of real L2 writers with real names who express their opinions on what they think of the writing that they do in their professional lives.

1 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Blogger Lenise said...

And here I thought "etics" was a typo. You learn something every day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home