Hackerwriters

An Online Journal

Thursday, September 16, 2004

Writing Text Is More Taxing Than Writing Code

Talked to Adam (yes, that's a pseudonym, folks) today, mostly about his dissertation writing. One interesting line he had toward the beginning is that he recently realized that he can't spend six hours a day writing. (By writing he included reading papers that he needs to refer to in the dissertation.) By contrast, he can spend as long as ten hours a day coding.

This all struck me as very interesting. What is there about writing text that, at least for Adam, is so much more exhausting than writing code? Both involve typing at a keyboard and putting marks on a computer screen. He uses the same machine for doing both. And he uses the same tools/programs for doing both activities. I don't think it's just the fact that he writes code more often than he writes text. I think there must be something qualitatively different in writing text. The thing I need to do is spend more time pondering this and theorize it in my dissertation as I revise the chapter that is about Adam.

3 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Interesting thing to ponder. Seems like though both activities are creative, in some sense, they are still quite distinct. I wouldn't ignore the role of emotional outlook on things like that. At least for me I often felt a great deal of apprehension about writing.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Scott said...

It is amazing how many people, like you, Paul, also have strong negative feelings about writing (text). At the same time, it's amazing how many people need to spend so much time and effort writing in their professional lives.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger lucie said...

hey good news... not very useful but good: i've recently discovered that i like and am good at writing in french. but in english, no, it just bores me and i'm not so good at it so it's frustrating.

yeah... maybe i should write my dissertation in french :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home