Hackerwriters

An Online Journal

Saturday, September 04, 2004

Quote of the Day

OK. This one's not about the dissertation, at least directly, but it was a memorable line from the Iliad. I'm using the Iliad as one of the texts for my freshman comp class this fall for computer science students.

Consider the following:

There was no hint of fear in Diomedes response:

"You sissy, curly-haired pimp of a bowman!
Why don't you come down and fight me man to man
And see how far your bow and arrow get you?
Boasting because you scratched my foot!
I might as well have been hit by a woman
Or imbecile child. A weakling's weapon is blunt.
When I throw a spear it kills you on contact --
My throw makes it sharp -- and your widow's cheeks
Are torn with grief, your children are fatherless,
Your blood reddens the earth, and you rot,
With more birds than women around you."


Iliad book 11: 407-418 (Lombardo trans.)

Why not use that line next time someone pisses you off?

BTW, if you want to really make it through the Iliad, then pick up the Lombardo translation and use this study guide.

2 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger lucie said...

hehehehehe excellent indeed!

scott, you wanna be on my committee? :)

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree, Scott. How much more satisfying to be able to vilify someone with thundering Homeric eloquence!

And yes -- the Lombardo translation is impressively accurate for how readable it is. Even students who 'don't like to read' tell me that they enjoy Lombardo.

I am honored, BTW, to have you recommend my Iliad study guide! I hope others will find it useful too.

Corax (corax@purdue.edu)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home