Hackerwriters

An Online Journal

Friday, July 08, 2005

Passions and Pastimes

Lest I be accused of being an effete academic for spending my time on William Faulkner -- even if an unemployed one -- I would say in my defense that I have been concentrating my free time on movies as well. Vertigo and Bullitt are the two most recent acquisitions on DVD. Regarding McQueen, the star of the latter, it's amazing how much interest there is still in his life even after being dead 25 years now. The SE DVD of Bullitt includes a 2005 documentary about him. And there are at least two comprehensive sites devoted to his life and its related images and aritifacts here and here. (Neither is endorsed by the estate of McQueen as far as I know). In addition, McQueen's image has now been resurrected to be in a tv commercial for the 2005 Ford Mustang and in a billboard (in southern CA) for a watch company.

I did also get a nice biography of Faulkner -- thanks for the recommendation, Oprah -- that is easier to read than the novels. But it provides a lot of background and makes you want to read and re-read the better ones.

I've also been listening to Lalo Schifrin's soundtracks from Bullitt and Cool Hand Luke lately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home