Hackerwriters

An Online Journal

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Yesterday I went to a meeting for the learning communities teachers. I'm teaching a section of first year composition for science connections students who have declared a major in computer sciences. Of course, something like 70% of the students are NOT CS majors by the end of the first semester.

Anyway, there's something new about this program this year (I taught in it last year) -- this year there are actually people from the school of science working with me. That's a plus. I'm looking forward to my class in August. My students are going to read Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove, The Odyssey, Ernest Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls, and they will watch John Ford's The Searchers. Talking with Natalie in the LC office and the teachers I am working with we realized that both my class and the CS class are both about journeys, seeing what's ahead, and about knowing and learning about yourself. As I said, I'm looking forward to the class.

But being in those meetings all day yesterday meant that there was no time for writing or research. And today I am spending the day with my son since he didn't go to preschool today; that means there won't be any work done today either.

Well, tomorrow will be a better day

3 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're the first person I've seen using the blogger comment thingy. Hope it works well. I may decide to change-over from HaloScan, since they only work about 80% of the time. I would hope that blogger could keep its own comment system relatively stable, but who knows. I'm reading The Brothers K right now and enjoying the heck out of it. Could be a nominee for that mythical "gret american novel" if it weren't so obviously derivative (of a non-american novel!).

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Gary said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger lucie said...

nice layout :) and it's nice to have the comments, isn't it? i will keep mine through haloscan since i don't want to lose the old ones... anyway, you're already erasing people's comments? not a good sign!

ok ok, that's not what you want to know... yeah i was surprised not to see you today in the office, but i sure got a lot of work done so that's good. yesterday was interesting and well, a little boring too. it didn't introduce us to what we really needed to know, but since i'm working with julie only, that'll be ok i guess.

the books? not too exciting, but good literature i guess, and i see the reason behind them, although you could find some more international stuff and happy stuff too. send your kids over to my movies too. but ok, this is serious stuff, the book choice is good then :)

have you ever seen my teaching journal? here. my teaching portfolio is ready too, and it's a monster portfolio and i'm very proud of it! you should go see it. take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home